Saturday, March 2, 2019

HAPPY TRAILS, MY SWEET HORSE: PASSING OF A PET

Saying goodbye to a beloved pet is heartbreaking, isn't it?

Yesterday I said good bye to my 29 year old Thoroughbred mare named Luna. 



Horses are amazing animals. Powerful, beautiful, sensitive and aware. If you're calm, they are also. If you're patient, they will listen and trust you. 

Establishing more of a partnership than "commanding" them will make for a good relationship as you handle this big animal with firmness and fairness. 

Of course, there are some experiencing  fear or maybe previously abused that don't respond favorably right away.  

Although I'd ridden others' horses for years and since a child loved them, Luna was my first owned horse. Because of health problems Luna couldn't be ridden by me and that brought about learning much more about horses than when I was riding

I met Luna on a rainy February day 12 years ago. She was a rescue; battered and frightened, all bones with scars from physical abuse. She wouldn't come to me, kept running away so I said to my husband, "I'm not sure this is the horse for me." At that moment while I was looking away she came up from behind and put her big head right over my shoulder. Shifting my eyes to look at her, she was looking right into my eye. That sealed the deal. Adopted.

Examination revealed she was tattooed on her upper lip indicating she was a registered Thoroughbred. The vet thought most most likely had been used as a broodmare. X-rays revealed serious feet problems.

I really couldn't handle Luna well. Previous horse experience was with well trained and mannered ones. Walking her was like dealing with a wild rodeo beast. Away from the two horses she came in with Luna would became frantic; rearing and pulling me all over the ranch. Other horse people had plenty of advice - as they are prone to give freely - get rid of that horse! Some laughed at my inability to control her as she dragged me through the ranch.

 Didn't stop me from hanging in there with her and onto her.

After much care, expense and headaches with this crazy horse we came to agreements and her true nature emerged: a sweet girl, although stoic in her affections, she endured my kisses. As we aged Luna would put her head to mine for kisses. 

She loved kids and although I couldn't ride her due to her feet problems, they did.

Finally, the time came when I had to decide what was best. Those who have had beloved pets know the agony of that decision. For weeks I tossed and turned mentally and emotionally, not sleeping well - searching for the right answer for Luna's well being.

The Birds liked Luna
I hoped she'd recover but the truth of her health problems  couldn't be ignored: more frequent and painful; not eating much, her eyes: long and tight - in pain instead of round and soft - well and happy. 

Walking near impossible  - each  step almost falling over. On the day she was to gallop and buck over the rainbow, she walked fine without barely a hitch in her step. I voiced my concern to the vet, maybe this wasn't the right time. 


The vet didn't say which was the best decision but he did share some stories of animals, big and small, when caregivers - owners - held on beyond reasonable care for their pets. I've done that with my dogs and cats. Still, I grieve and feel guilty - was I too hasty?

I'll miss running my hands through Luna's thick winter coat. I'll miss her eagerness to get out with me for a cruise around the ranch, stopping to munch grass and visit her horse friends. 

My last words to Luna were, "I'll see you in heaven, don't run off until I get there." I kissed her for the last time and the vet came to her side.

Luna stole my heart. I loved her greatly.

I'll miss her. 

Run free over the rainbow my sweet girl.


Please review more about me and my books at www. june ahern dot come. In my How to Talk With Spirits I write about communicating with beloved pets that have passed away. 

9 comments:

Chrissy as Chris said...

Such a sweet way to memoralize Luna - She was so lucky to have you as her Mommy - she will be waiting for you all pain free now

Chrissy as Chris said...

That was me June - it came as Christopher Robbins - love, Chrissy

June, The Pen Goddess said...

Thank you, Chrissy. Life will be different now as Luna was a big part of my everyday life. Our pets, furry family - love them, sad when they go, but acceptance and in time, the memories! So Mote it Be.

Daniel said...

So much pleasure, so much love - Luna is lucky to have found your efforts and affections as you are lucky to have found hers. You made the right decision and she is grateful for that. I love you mom~

June, The Pen Goddess said...

Thank you, Daniel. Glad you had some time to get to know her. I'm not looking forward to the days without her.

Jaime said...

I have tears in my eyes and pain in my heart while reading this. June - I am so sorry to see this update. Luna was so lucky to have found you. Her beautiful presence will stay with me always. Wishing you peace and healing during a difficult time of transition.

Patty said...

With tears in my eyes, and a lump in my throat as I'm reading this loving tribute to sweet,sometimes stubborn Luna. She definitely had a wonderful life with you and the other ladies who cared for her. I was lucky enough to get to reconnect with you and Luna for a while and loved taking my granddaughter with me. Luna was the first horse Kylie had ever sat on. Luna could care less while she was in her arena enjoying herself. We would visit her friends at the lower barn. She would let me know which way she would have me walk her back to her paddock. The best part was brushing her beautiful thick tail. I think she liked being groomed too! She was so lucky to have you with her while she took her last breath! That's my one regret that when I put Sarge down I was able to be with him!!! Take care of yourself, June!!!

June, The Pen Goddess said...

thank you Jaimie and Patty - two of Luna's Ladies in Waiting. I'm so grateful you enjoyed my big, sometimes headstrong girl. In time I'll think of all the great days she and I had.

Anonymous said...

Dearest June, I am weeping! What a lovely friendship the two of you had and Luna was so fortunate that you recognized what a beautiful soul she was and adopted her. I know you cherished your time with her and will miss her greatly. Blessedly you have many fond memories of her to hold in your heart. Sending you a big hug my friend!

CORPSE ROADS: COFFIN PATHS: PATHWAYS TRAVELED BY SPIRITS

  Take Your Dead to These Old Corpse Roads T he dead “were carried along strictly defined corpse roads for the belief that coffins sterilize...